iFixit’s Technical Writing Program bestows a hands-on, real-world technical writing project into university classrooms around the world. The program is a unique opportunity for student groups to document the repair of a consumer electronic device through iFixit's collaborative online platform. The product of the students' efforts is a free repair manual for anyone to use, as part of iFixit's global effort to keep as many devices as possible out of landfills.
The project requires a group of students to document the process of installing replacement components in an electronic device — either one provided by iFixit, or one of their own choosing (with prior approval). In addition to the device, iFixit also provides each group a general-purpose toolkit for disassembling it. The entire curriculum is hosted online on iFixit.com, so students and professors have access to it all the time. And iFixit's technical writing staff is always reachable to answer any questions that students or professors may have regarding the program.
The video below provides a short overview of iFixit's program:
- Hands-on and project based: Students get the opportunity to take apart real consumer electronics, providing first-hand experience in writing technical repair manuals.
- Real world: Students produce authentic technical documentation for the everyone in the world to use.
- Impact driven: Like all things iFixit, the curriculum follows our strong commitment to ethics. The project reinforces the need to recycle in a wasteful consumer age and encourages students to take personal responsibility in addressing the significant problem of e-waste.
- Hosted online: Instructors and students have access to the curriculum 24/7.
- Collaborative: The iFixit Technical Writing Program emphasizes collaboration among students who work in teams to create peer-edited technical documentation.
- Dynamic: All great technical writing is user-friendly and dynamic. Our easy-to-use Guidebook platform makes creating and contributing to guides simple.
- Turn-key: This program can be integrated into your regular curriculum or used as a stand-alone project.
- Supported: The technical writing team at iFixit provides support via email for any questions that instructors and students may have.
Read more about program benefits or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!